Saturday, December 7, 2013

So, December 7th...

I think December 7th is taken for granted by my generation, which means every generation after mine is likely to take it for granted as well, which is a shame.

This day, which will live in infamy, always makes me think of my Pap-Pap who fought in World War II.  He was not in Pearl Harbor, but he fought in the European theater as a member of the US Army (Go Army, Beat Navy).

Most of us either have a parent, grandparent, uncle, sibling, etc. that fought in the war.  I am sure we have all heard a lot of great stories, read amazing books or watched movies that move us.  I want to share some of the stories that Sgt. William Carl Halvorsen shared with me.

-He was always very proud of the fact that he drove jeep for General Patton.  My grandfather was impressed that General Patton, while backseat driving, seemed to know exactly where landmines were located.

-My grandfather was an odd bird (I know where I get it).  He was separated from his platoon near the Luxemburg border.  Instead of hustling back to find his platoon, he met a Luxemburg family (would they be Luxemburgers?).  He stayed with them for a while (the time he spent with them gets fuzzy in my head), mainly because the food was good.  So yes, my grandfather went AWOL over food (I know where I got that too, thanks Pap-Pap).

-He never rose above sergeant because he had a little bit of an issue with authority (I know where my daughter gets that).  One time while his Commanding Officer was chewing him out my grandfather was told to dig a 6' by 6' by 6' hole.  Instead of accepting his punishment, he threw the shovel at his CO's feet and told him "if I'm going to be shot, I'm going to be shot with a rifle in my hands".

-He received the purple heart, the bronze star and numerous marksman medals.  My uncle was kind enough to give them to me last year, along with his uniforms, his knife, several hand guns, diaries from the war (he wrote a lot, I know where I got that, sincere thanks Pap-Pap), pictures and other items. 

-My favorite grandfather war time story was not actually from World War II, instead it came after September 11, 2001.  I was sitting with my Pap-Pap and I asked him what he thought the country should do.  Keep in mind he would die not even four months later (one guess what got him), but he was so sure this war would not be like any other war.  That it would drag on and on and on...he was a smart man.

I asked him if he wanted me to fight.  He looked me dead in the eyes and said "I fought so my kids wouldn't have to.  So no, I don't want you to fight."

He was good guy, but a better Pap-Pap.

 My father and Pap-Pap at their service station in McKeesport, Pa


No comments:

Post a Comment