Thursday, November 7, 2013

So, sometimes you get incredible advice from...

I talked about my therapist yesterday, but she obviously wasn't the only one that helped me thru my troubles.  I have a great support group behind me.  When the crap hit the fan, everybody wanted to help, and I mean everybody.  It was like winning the loser's lottery, everybody wanted the dirt.  As the weeks went by it was pretty easy to figure out who wanted to be there for me and who was getting tired of me not having an update on how "bad" my ex was (for the record my ex and I have a solid relationship now).

One of my friends that stood out told me early on that my ex "did me a favor."  While I initially took that as harsh, he was right.  I wasn't in a good marriage, but I didn't know it.  I wasn't going to leave, but my ex pulled the trigger.  It has been one of the best decisions somebody has ever made for me.  The friend that bestowed that very apt observation also made sure I talked to him everyday.  He called me, he texted me and dragged me out of my house to have fun, when I wanted to sit and do nothing.

He helped me with certain unwritten rules in the dating world and how to be a good wing man, I'll get into that in some post I'm sure.  Basically, he became a brother to me.

Like any other big brother, he was willing to give me the kick in my ass that I needed, even when I didn't want it.  For anybody with kids, or anybody that has given the kick in the ass, that's not an easy thing to do.  You run the risk of ostracizing yourself from that person.  He took the risk, and it paid off. 

He and his fiancee really went out of their way to make sure I knew I wasn't alone, I will never forget that, and I will always be in their debt (although they don't think they are).  He also introduced to me to the world of craft beers, that one I may hold against him for a long time.

Sometimes it's amazing how a simple phrase in one context can spill over into others.  Another friend that I met at CrossFit (uh, oh here comes some CrossFit gushing) made a comment during a particularly difficult work out of the day (WOD).  Quite simply it was "just keep moving."  Just three little words, but three powerful words.  Whether I'm trying to get off the ground while doing a burpee (people look that exercise up and try them, they are terrible), or I'm trying to find time to study, make my son's school lunch, pay bills, write this blog, remember to feed the dog (sorry Colby), etc. those three little words can pertain to anything.  As long as you are making progress, even if it's small or slow, then you're headed in the right direction.  The only thing worse than standing still is going backwards.

I don't think this particular friend realizes how inspirational that day was to me, especially since it was a nondescript day a few months ago, but it was.  She has been a great source of strength to me since joining CrossFit, and the "just keep moving" phrase gets mentioned at CrossFit Latrobe everyday.

I tell myself I can't control others and just keep moving everyday.  I'm sure I'll add to my personal mantras, and I hope you have some as well.  Don't be afraid to share them in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Just remember to keep moving and always provide your child with a physical address so e will not fall into the catergory of homeless, no not sleeping on the street, but does not have a physical address that he can call home..just keep moving......

    ReplyDelete