Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Every Journey Starts with the First Step

So I started out well over 70 pounds heavier, married with two kids and in a successful job.  Lets skip to 18 months later, I'm down to 175 pounds, divorced (I won't make the joke about losing the weight of the ex...oops, I guess I just did), and I'm back in school.  So how did I end up here?

Well lets start with what I called the divorce diet.  When I found out my wife and I wouldn't work, it took a pretty good toll on my mental, emotional and physical well-being, as you would expect.  I didn't sleep (Ambien and Klonipin tried their best), I didn't eat and I barely went thru the motions at work.  I dropped 20 pounds by not eating and not sleeping in two weeks.  I knew this wasn't healthy.

I would like to say I made the changes I made because of my kids, but it was more than that.  I wanted something to distract me and to help me burn energy so I could physically exhaust myself into sleep.  A friend suggested CrossFit, don't worry this isn't going to be a blog that spews my love of CrossFit, it's going to be a blog that spews my love of CrossFit, my new diet, my schoolwork, my kids, and anything else I come up with.

My friend had just started CrossFit and when she was describing it, it sounded like something that I might be able to handle.  It had a set schedule and set work outs ( I need a schedule as I'm the kind of guy that can make up any excuse to get out of something), it had scaling (I admit I didn't want to look weak in front of the other guys and gals), and most importantly, it was a little expensive (if I'm paying, I'm going).

I started to realize I could do much more than I thought when I went to Crossfit Latrobe.  I started out slow, walking when I had to walk, using the rings to do pull ups, doing a lot less weight and so on, just like everybody that first starts working out.  Over the 18 months, I started to notice I was getting better at every aspect of working out (I won't be confused for a CrossFit games competitor tho).  I know that I won't be the first guy eaten in a zombie apocalypse, at least.

An interesting transformation was taking place, not just physically but also emotionally and mentally.  I noticed that when I walked by a mirror, I didn't avoid it, in fact there were times I actually lingered.  Sure this seems egotistical, but you have to realize, I was a big guy with zero confidence.  I started to focus on the daily routine I was setting, which I didn't even know I was setting.  Somehow I had become more organized since I started working out.

Taking the hour or two a day at the gym was a nice escape for my stress, it still is.  When I'm there I think about getting done so I can collapse and sweat.  I don't think about bills, laundry, what I'm making the kiddos for dinner, dating, family (lets face it, family is stressful), or any trivial stress I had when I walked in.  Working out doesn't eliminate my stress, it's still there when I walk out the gym doors, but it does give me a break and that can lead to a new way to look at a problem.

Working out wasn't the only way I became emotionally stronger, I had a lot of help from my therapist.  I have zero issues discussing my need for therapy.  If you break your leg, you need a cast.  I broke my head, my therapy was my cast.  I'll go into why I love my therapist and how it changed my life in a separate post.

So as I was cruising along in my growth adventure, I was downsized from my sales job after being there for only eight months.  Keep in mind this was a company that came after me and hired me away from another company.  I had been in sales for over 13 years, I was good at it, but I had grown to hate it.  I didn't want to become that guy that was miserable everyday of his working life.  I shouldn't complain about being downsized/fired/displaced/impacted (I love the way companies try to fluff up termination), because it gave me the push I needed to go back to school.  I figured I could get another sales job, be miserable then go back to school, or I could skip the miserable part and go right into school.   I'm currently going to school to earn my Masters in Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy, a little ironic I suppose.

So that's just a little about me, trust me I'm a talker, so there is a lot more coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment