Saturday, August 16, 2014

So, Happy Birthday Dad




Dear Dad,

Happy 65th Birthday!  I wish you could be here, but hey, you have a lot going on right now.

I just wanted to fill you in on what I think you would be doing if you could be with us.

There is no doubt that you would absolutely love your grandchildren.  Luke looks just like us (poor, poor kid) but he is more athletic than you and smarter than me (I know that isn't that tough).  He is so dang sweaty, I do not know where that comes from. 

Luke is starting second grade at Fort Allen Elementary.  Crazy, I know, since I am in the house I grew up in and I went to Maxwell.  He is excited because his homeroom will have a guinea pig in it.  The kid loves animals. 

He is also a huge a fan of soccer...I know, I think I failed at raising the next great baseball player.  That said he also loves art, which comes directly from you.  I still remember the funny drawings you would doodle on occasion.

Now, I know you would love Luke, but man would Avery Gray absolutely own you (it's ok, she owns me too).  I can not tell you how many times I have envisioned her running to you and you sweeping her up in your arms.  Of course you would try to play it off like you were not as happy as you really were when you saw her, but you would smile thru that gray beard of yours. 

I am positive you would laugh when she asked you about your big ears.  She would be your fishing buddy, much like Face (I call her shitface) was growing up.

We go to Bucco games, and we love them.  It reminds me of my favorite memory with you.  Luke lasts the entire time and he asks a lot of questions...like a lot...like to the point you would probably look at me and expect me to handle it.

I have learned a lot about being a father from you, whether it was intentional or not.

I am dating an amazing woman, I call her Dinkus.  I think you would really like her.  She would probably call you out on your crap, then the two of you would gang up on me.

Finally on this day, your 65th birthday, I want to say I miss you and I hope you are watching over me (I could use the help), and of course I love you Big Buckster!

Love,

Forever your Son

No comments:

Post a Comment